Sunday, December 14, 2008

Special Christmas Treat


Yes, that is my yummy Rocky Road Fudge you are looking at - one of my absolutely favorite Christmas treats filled to the hilt with sugar, butter, chocolate and marshmallows. You just cannot go wrong with any combination of those ingredients!

It all started with my grandma when she made it for us as kids. In fact, I remember having to go out to the garage to snatch a piece in our attempts to hide it from my mom (at her request). Now that I have made it myself and seen the extreme amounts of sugar loaded into each delicious bite, I can see why she made her odd request.

Here is the recipe if you are interested in trying it (beware, a lot of stirring is required!). In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, I remember a funny story that goes along with the extreme stirring of fudge. The first Christmas John and I were married, I made fudge in our dinky little kitchen up in Logan. He called me from the library to say he was done studying, and would I mind coming to pick him up since it was below freezing temperatures. I had the gall to tell him he needed to wait a few minutes as I was right in the middle of the 10 minute stirring process!!

See's Fudge

4 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cubes margarine
1 tsp. salt
1 tall can evaporated milk
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream
chopped nuts, marshmallows

Mix sugar, margarine, milk, salt, and vanilla on medium for approx. 5 minutes until boiling. Boil for 9 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove and add chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted. Add marshmallow creme and stir until well blended. Stir in chopped nuts and marshmallows, then pour into butter pan quickly. Refrigerate or keep cold in garage during wintertime.

3 comments:

Smith Family said...

Yep, I think I am going to have to make some this week. I just don't look forward to the stirring process.

M. Nelson said...

Same some for me!

zohner said...

This looks delicious. I may have to try and work it into my Christmas rotation.