Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Tradition at our House


One of our Christmas traditions started with my great Grandpa Carr when he used string to lead his kids to their one and only Christmas present during the depression in the late 1930s. Since they only had one gift each, he wanted to extend the amount of time it took them to find their gift. My grandma continued the tradition with her kids, then I grew up with my mom continuing the tradition, and now John and I have included the tradition in our Christmas festivities. I wonder what my grandpa would think about us continuing on his legacy all of these years later.

It is a fun tradition for the kids, but a pain in the butt for us parents. We can usually be found late on Christmas eve grumbling about the whole process as we lay string through the house - along baseboards, around doorknobs, intertwined through chairs, under rugs - you get the idea. The string usually leads to the most special Santa gift. This year, we decided to get a family gift and invested in a Wii system. This picture of the girls reacting to the end of their string is classic!

1 comment:

Janell said...

I've come to the conclusion that sometimes the wonderful traditions we have are far more important than the gifts themselves will ever be. Sounds like the girls had a wonderful Christmas morning!