Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Gingerbread Houses


It is a Rimington tradition to make gingerbread houses for Christmas and this year was no exception.

Natalie even got into it, although her idea of decorating meant me putting some icing onto the house and pointing at it for her to put a piece of candy on it. She would proceed to put her candy on the icing and then immediately put it into her mouth! She kept doing this over and over again. I guess she thought the icing was a dip! She finally got the hang of it and finished off her house.

Kimberly and Alicia went to town on theirs spending a good couple of hours working on them. Maybe we should have done the gingerbread houses on a night other than a school night, as they got to bed quite late because they wanted to keep going.


Here is how we make our gingerbread houses:

Cut up graham crackers
Glue together with Royal Meringue Frosting

Royal Meringue Frosting:
3 T. Wilton Meringue Powder Mix (you can find this in the wedding section of any craft store)
4 cups powdered sugar
6 T.* Water *If using a Kitchen aid, use only 5 tablespoons)
Beat all ingredients at low speed for 7 to 10 minutes, or until icing forms peaks.
Use immediately.
Cover bowl with a wet towel when not in use to keep soft.


6 comments:

M. Nelson said...

A blog! I can't believe it. You don't even know how you've made my day. I'm so excited I'm practically crying!

M. Nelson said...

Cute houses, by the way!

Melissa said...

What a fun tradition. I have always wanted to do that with my kids, but I think I would get too nervous and uptight. I just need to do it though. =)

It will be fun to keep in touch thru your blog.

Janell said...

What fun! Brings home fond memories of watching your husband create a two story mansion! :-)

John said...

It wasn't a mansion. It was USU's Old Main building. =)

Lots of fond memories there!

Janell said...

If I recall correctly, one year it was a bear cave!