Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Aahh, the joys of Construction

Anyone want to trade bedrooms/bathrooms for awhile? I'm always amazed at how much sawdust John can accumulate in one place when he is doing construction in the house! The plus side is that I always enjoy the end result - down side is that I have to live through construction. I'm told that any remodeling in homes can cause friction in marriages. Fortunately, we haven't had that problem yet. Ask me in a few more months though...

This is actually after 3 days of demolition with piles...and I do mean piles of drywall in the bedroom. I forgot to take pictures. Notice that there is nothing in the closet right now. Yes, that means that all of our closet items are scattered throughout our bedroom. I had to root through a few piles on Sunday to find my slip! Not to worry though because John plans to have the closet done by this Saturday so the girls and I can paint, then I can return all of the closet items back to their home on Monday.

Luckily the girls can sleep through practically everything. Last night John had the dremel going and the smoke alarms went off (this of course at about 9:30 p.m. after the girls had gone to sleep). It took about 3 minutes for me to open a bunch of windows and the dust to settle before the alarms went off. This does not say good things about our kids waking up to a real emergency.

This was not an intentional part of the construction. John was prying some drywall above the sink when the hammer slipped, and John heard an awful noise knowing full well he had just destroyed one of the sinks. I was not a happy camper when I got home because this is the sink we use most frequently. Fortunately, it's high up the list to be redone, along with the counter top.

When this is all said and done, we will have a much larger shower with two shower heads, a new corner tub, new shelving in the closet, tile flooring in the bathroom, new sinks built into the counter top, recessed lighting in the bedroom, crown and base molding in the bedroom, and several other things I can't explain. John always does such beautiful work - I can't wait to see the final product, though it will be several more months.

I have to add that this all started out with a simple, "I think we need to redo the floor in the bathroom since the linoleum is getting pretty bad." I guess we don't know what simple means!

5 comments:

Nelson Nine said...

Ours is the utility room right now. Fortunately I can still plug in the washing machine when needed. Good Luck!

John said...

The shattered sink was already cracked in several spots. It would leak if we plugged the drain. No more worries about leaks! :)

M. Nelson said...

Trade you your bathroom for my kitchen...

Wait a minute we're almost done and you're just beginning...

never mind!

Janell said...

I'm smiling and chuckling as I read this post because I've been there! You'll be finding dust in places you never dreamed of! It's always worth it, though.

At least the sink was on its way out. I remember moving the frig back into our new kitchen and the corner of the frig tore the new floor. I took one look and went into the bedroom and shut the door!

Good luck, John! (and Dana!)

zohner said...

Wow. That's quite the project. Let me know when you need a hand with things.