Monday, May 4, 2009

Pot Pie at 10 p.m.

John and I went to the Symphony last Saturday night with friends and then we decided to go out for dessert afterwords. Coldstone was too crowded, so we decided to have pie at Marie Callendar's. By the time we got there, it was 10 p.m. and both John and I had a light dinner, so I was famished by this time. Pie just wasn't going to cut it! I ordered one of their dinner platters, complete with pot pie, and two absolutely yummy salads. I was in 7th heavan gulping away at my food while everyone else at the table daintily ate the soup they ordered to go with their pie. I blame this on the baby influencing my food choices these days!

It reminded me of another late night dinner we had a couple months ago. John received a letter saying he would be receiving the District Award of Merit for Cub Scouts, which is actually a very prestigous scouting award (I get the right to brag a little bit about my spouse, right?). Anyway, the letter said come attend the banquet where he would be recieving the award - and actually, we'd been to this banquet one time before for another award John received and it was a very nice dinner, so of course we assumed the same thing. I mean, doesn't banquet mean food?

We arrived and sat down next to some of our cub scout friends and they told us they had just found out there would be no dinner served...WHAT!!! All of us had come hungry - and prepared to be served dinner! So, instead, we got to sit through two hours of scouting drudgery - other than John's 5 minutes of glory, of course with only the thought of how yummy food would taste. When it was over at 9 p.m. we were served dreary ice cream sundaes, which of course does not cure hunger pains. We all decided to go out to eat, making it over to Chili's by 9:30 or so, and dinner served at 10 p.m. What is it with our late night dinners these days?

4 comments:

Janell said...

Now I have a craving for pie! And I can't blame hormones, I'm afraid. :-)

Gail said...

Oh, how I can relate. Now that I'm leaving the sick stage I'm quite anxious to be enjoying the food I crave instead of just choking it down so I don't get sicker later.

Linda said...

I would have to read this just before we have to think of something for dinner. I can't wait to see the house. We wanted to stop, but I had some down with a terrible cold. We'll do it soon.
Linda

zohner said...

Banquet:
- feast: provide a feast or banquet for
- a ceremonial dinner party for many people
- a meal that is well prepared and greatly enjoyed; "a banquet for the graduating seniors"; "the Thanksgiving feast"; "they put out quite a spread"

You guys got hosed. I would have called shenanigans on them.