Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm hooked

I am addicted to my new book, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

You know the kind of book that you just cannot put down.

You will lose sleep just so you can read (I woke up to pee at 4 this morning, and decided I wanted to read more of my book - so I read from 4 to 5 a.m.).

Other chores go by the way side (I have a list of a gazillion things to do, but amazingly...book reading seems to top the list!),

And the kids have to remind me they are around because I can't seem to lift my eyes from the page (yes, Natalie made it through one container of yogurt and a bowl of applesauce before I noticed! Of course she left a humungo mess in both places. No worries...the mess could wait until I finished reading my chapter!)

This book is actually told by a true Geisha. Usually geisha's are quite secretive about their world, but this particular geisha, who is considered one of the top 20 geisha's ever, later became a U.S. citizen, so believed her story was free to tell. Well, that is she only wanted it printed after she died and all of the other prominent men in the story passed away as well. She didn't want to embarrass anyone, but felt her story was one that needed to be told.

Of course I have seen the movie, but as always, the book is sooo sooo sooo (do you get the idea already?) much better. I best sign off for now so I can read some more before I have to make dinner, clean up the kitchen, help with kids homework, get them ready for bed...ugh...several hours before I can get back to happy reading time again!

2 comments:

Janell said...

Been there!!!

Michael said...

It's been a good long while since a book did that for me, but I've recently been an observer of the chore neglect. Sorry John.