Monday, July 27, 2009

Sewing and Demolition


It's a good thing Kimberly is learning how to sew at Achievement Days, because she isn't learning it from me :) They have been working on a stitching project for the last couple of weeks. Kimberly ended up bringing it home to finish last week and she was so excited to work on it. The next day, she got out my sewing box and some scraps of old fabric and the girls spent the entire afternoon sewing up different creations - and I didn't even have to help (other than the occasional knot in the string). They made bonnets, aprons, and skirts. They even pulled it out again on Saturday for a couple of hours. I just might have a few seamstresses without even having to lift a sewing finger! Kimberly informed me the other day that we needed a sewing machine "because the needle stitches just aren't strong enough mom." Hmm....on second thought, maybe I don't want a seamstress in the house yet until I save up my pennies for a sewing machine.

We had a fun-filled weekend with Pioneer Day on Friday. In the morning, the girls enjoyed the humungo slip and slide at the neighbors house, then we had lunch out with Grandma Lynn, and then had a fun BBQ, game night and fireworks with some old friends on Friday night. On Saturday John pulled out the tub and shower from the bathroom, redid some plumbing, put in some subfloor, and wa-la...progress toward a new bathroom is on its way! Funny story - I was admiring John's work, and wondered why in the world there were some electrical connections of some sort right next to the plumbing tubes. John reminded me it was one of the stereo boxes from the family room ceiling. Funny how opening up the floor opens up a whole new perspective!



On Saturday night, John and I were able to sneak away for our date night to see the new Harry Potter movie. It was excellent, however still a little too frightening we thought for Kimberly and Alicia. They are quite disappointed as they had hoped we would approve so they could see it in the theater as well. Kimberly kept reminding me that it is rated PG, so they should be able to see it, at which point I had to inform her that PG meant Parental Guidance, which is exactly what we were doing :)

3 comments:

John said...

Kim and Alicia have seen major work before, but it was Natalie's first time. Tearing out all of the tile/drywall and that 4' x 6' hole in the floor captured Natalie's interest for much of the day.

Janell said...

Tell the girls that Grandma is proud of them! I'm glad they are having fun with sewing.

Oh, the joys of remodeling! :-)

Melissa said...

That's awesome that your girls are sewing and that you are letting them! I'm a stick in the mud too often with things like that.