Friday, July 17, 2009

A Date a Week Keeps the Therapist Away

When John worked at LDS Family Services right before we got married, one of the therapists John became good friends with invited us in for a free one-hour session of pre-wedding advice. Sadly, I only remember one thing from the session, but we have followed the advice faithfully over the years. He told us that if we continued dating regularly over the years, we wouldn't have to come in for therapy.

I didn't really understand the significance of his advice, until many years later when I realized how much we needed those fun times together to remember just why we fell in love and got married in the first place. One of my friends follows this same advice, and it has also served them well over the years. Her theory is that a date a week is a whole lot cheaper than marriage therapy sessions.

John and I have a hot date tonight going out to dinner with some friends, and I have been looking forward to it all day! We have not been out on a date for over a month because of my dad's situation, the holiday weekend, and then my girls weekend. We are well overdue for some time with each other - out of the house.

4 comments:

Janell said...

Sounds fun! I'm a firm believer that couples need "alone" time. And now as we approach the "empty nest" it really becomes apparent how important it is not to lose that link as friends. Its too easy to get lost in being mom and dad. Hope you had fun!

James and Katrina said...

So fun to read that comment! Who said that? I heard that same advice at college? Maybe it was the same guy? We try to do the same---weekly if possible. We can't always get a sitter, but we designate a night "Our Night"!

Gail said...

I agree 100%!! Now that I have a house full of kids date nights have become that much more important and I look forward to them with the same anticipation. The other day I had hired a sitter so we could do the dinner/movie date. I was bouncing around the house all day! (Not sure if that was because we were going out or because we were going to see Harry Potter.) Both I'm sure.

Nelson Nine said...

I agree with that advice and I am jealous of the closet! Good luck with the rest of the projects.