Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Few Tidbits...and I do mean tidbits

Nothing like a blog posting full of nibbles of information...

We had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. It started on Friday night when we got to sneak away to the neighbor's to cook smores at midnight. Saturday was filled with the parade, BBQ with friends, fireworks, then the city fireworks show and finally crashing into bed late.

I did however accomplish something new on Saturday. I used a weed eater for the first time. No one told me that your hand would vibrate so badly! My hand was literally shaking for a good 15 minutes after I was finished :)

On Monday the girls started swimming lessons, something I have been doing with the girls since they were 4 years old. I am an avid believer that everyone needs to learn how to swim since it is a life saving skill. My kids are quickly becoming little fish (or rather big fish in Kimberly's case). Too bad Natalie has to wait until next year to start up her lessons. She was a bit perturbed when we showed up to the pool and her two older sisters got to hop in, but not her. I spent the next 10 minutes convincing her to stop trying to take off her sandals and shirt. Today she tried a different approach and just ran straight for the kiddie pool, getting several steps in before I caught up to her. She got to sit in wet shorts for the 45 minute lesson, hehe.

Yesterday we had zilcho food in the cupboard, and I had no desire to go grocery shopping until later in the day, so we all had to be a bit creative for lunch. Kimberly decided to bake some muffins, Natalie and Alicia had top ramen, and I made homemade pancakes with chocolate chips. I found the yummiest buttermilk pancake recipe on cook.com if you are interested. They were just the right amount of flatness with a slight amount of fluffiness. I hate big thick pancakes, so these were perfect!

Last night John finished prepping the backyard (in 90 degree weather I might add - I'm sure he is still recovering from heat exhaustion) for grass, which I ordered today and should be installed on Saturday if all our stars line up in the right place!! Too bad I won't be around to help as I have a fabulous girls weekend out - hotel stay included :) Luckily I've got a babysitter lined up for Natalie, so John won't have to worry about her while he and the older two girls put in the sod.

2 comments:

Nelson Nine said...

Sounds like a great week! Glad you had fun and I know what you mean about the littlest one having to sit outside the pool. It was a great day when they all got to go in!

Janell said...

Life is full of so many small events that weave together. Lots of love to all of you!