Friday, January 9, 2009

Roller Derby Dolls

Ever heard of a Roller Derby Doll? I hadn't until just recently. A friend mentioned to me that there are some gals that skate as part of a club at a nearby roller skating rink thinking it might be a good story idea for me. I thought it sounded interesting, so I got the go ahead from my editor and met with them last night. I was expecting a group of fluffy girls that just skated around the rink a few times, maybe racing or something of that nature. I really didn't know what to expect.
I do know that I was not expecting a group of Harley looking women - tattoos and all decked to the hilt in protective gear - wrist and elbow guards, knee pads, helmets, and mouth guards! Yikes. I had no idea such a thing existed! After warming up, the real action began...they started racing around the rink whizzing by me as I was desperately trying to take pictures. In a nutshell, you skate against another team in packs of four, while the jammer girls have to try and get through pack. For every roller derby girl they pass, they get a point. Yah, I can see now where the protective gear comes in handy!! The gals are actually proud of their battle wounds!

Well, I can now say I have met a roller derby doll, and now you as my readers can say you have heard of them.

2 comments:

M. Nelson said...

So why didn't you join them in the rink? That would've made the story something else!

Unknown said...

Oh wow! Look at them. Tuff looking gals!