Monday, January 12, 2009

All for the Love of Cooking?

I am not really a cook. I only pretend to be a cook. I actually prefer baking, or so I thought until this weekend. I have since changed my mind. I am just pretending to be good at baking since most of my recipes are the quick and easy ones. I encountered a normal cinnamon roll recipe thinking to myself, "I am a good baker. I can make these cinnamon rolls." In response, the recipe laughed at me and said, "little does she know what she is in for!!"

My sister-in-law, Marian, made the most wonderful cinnamon rolls on Christmas Day. I asked her for the recipe, and she emailed it to me. I quickly scanned through the recipe, then did a double take at the words scald the milk, and then, add dissolved yeast when the mild is tepid. What!?! I don't speak cookeze, so I had no idea how to scald milk, or even for that matter what tepid meant. Yes, I am a journalist and should know these things, but because I am only a pretend baker, I don't.

Anyway, I decided to jump feet first and go for it on Saturday night. Of course after chores and shopping, I did not start until 9 p.m. No problem, I said because the recipe only indicated 2 hours of prep time. I figured I'd be in bed by 11:30 p.m. at the latest. I got directions from Marian on how to scald milk and what tepid means (it means cooled down - why can't they just say that instead!) and started mixing ingredients. I had a small breakdown when I got to the kneading part. I realized I have never actually kneaded anything! (I have a bread maker, so why in the world would I need to know how to knead?)

I finally stumbled my way through the kneading and let my dough rise. After an hour, the dough was not rising!! Time check: 10:15 p.m. Well, I was running out of awake time, so I heated up the oven a little bit and gave the dough a jump start. Success! By 11 I was rolling out the dough and putting on the yummy parts. I had the rolls into the casserole dish and went back to the recipe to see how long I needed to cook them in my already preheated 350 degree oven. Oops, I missed a part - reread...uh-oh...I had skipped the part where it said, "let the rolls sit and raise for an hour. Aahhh!!! It was 11:15 p.m., and I had to wait another hour before I could even put these stinking rolls into the oven! I was starting to get a bit disgruntled because I was getting tired.

Okay, I mustered up some extra energy and told John the bad news. Finally, 12:15 a.m. rolled around and I got the rolls into the oven. At 12:40 a.m., I enjoyed my yummy, ever so cinnamony rolls - then crashed into bed by 1 a.m. just a few hours before rolling out of bed for early morning church!

I love baking, but I have decided there is a limit to how much I can bake. I will be using my quick and easy recipe from here on out. Anything that requires kneading will not be found in my cookbook. I will simply wait for someone else to do the kneading, and then I'll enjoy their hard work. In return, I'll bake them some yummy chocolate chip cookies (the non-kneading kind anyway).

7 comments:

M. Nelson said...

You're funny! Just a hint--you'll always be in for the long haul if ever there is yeast involved. It's never quick. Sorry you had such a rough time. Were the rolls worth it?

M. Nelson said...

PS--don't you think a recipe is always hardest the first time? Give it one more try before you count it out. Only earlier.

Janell said...

I'm still chuckling!

James and Katrina said...

That was so funnY! You are hilarious. Yes, i don't knead bread either. I have a Bosch that mixes the dough for me and I use INSTANT yeast--- a must for all bakers. Did you use it? Keep baking...but maybe you should start at 9 am instead. hee hee

Unknown said...

Poor Dana!! I would have said forget it and went to bed! Hey I love your cinnamon roll recipe. The easy one LOL

zohner said...

Dana, you are one of the best bakers out there. At least among the ones that I've come across anyway and I used to work with professional bakers. This just goes to prove that there's no recipe too hard. Too inconvenient maybe but not too hard.

Shannon Durocher said...

Dana....now you know exactly why I hate cooking! That's how I feel with even the easy recipes. See my blog for today's event of cooking!