Sunday, November 14, 2010

Survival Mode

I'm in survival mode right now because John is on another business trip. I need to get used to these because the current project he is on will require several more before all is said and done. So, that means, I have to learn how to make this work or I will go insane.

Things that help me survive:

* Cell phones so I can talk to John every day (not quite sure how that one is going to work out when he has to do the Italy and Australia trips, but gosh darnit, those airplane miles will sure come in handy down the road).
* Per Diem. Money in our pocket. Thanks John for eating homemade dinner at the condo rather than eating out so we can pocket the extra money not spent.
* Having older girls who can stay at home if I need to run a quick errand so I'm not having to drag the whole herd around.
* Dinner out (fast food of course so I can go through the drive thru) and movie nights with the girls. It makes the weekend manageable.
* My great family (and I'm lucky to have two sets) who have us over for dinner, let us spend time with them, and of course, long phone chats with various family members - thank goodness for unlimited long distance.
* Loving friends who invite me over for lunch, call and chat with me so I can have actual adult interaction, and help babysit my little ones so I can get out.

And last, but definitely not least, full-days at school for the older ones. I seriously was about ready to rip my hair out with the girls home early from school EVERY day last week for parent teacher conferences. Blessed quiet this week...here I come!! (That is, until 4 p.m. hits).

5 comments:

M. Nelson said...

Amen, Sister!

Nelson Nine said...

Isn't it funny how we all seem to somehow survive what we have to. I am glad that you have such good family and friends.

Linda said...

I didn't know John was traveling so much. You and Marian call sure understand each other. What great help you have.

James and Katrina said...

So true for me, too! Love it!

Gail said...

Survival Mode - That's what I call it during the peak of camping season. Yuck! I hate it when Mike's gone, but now that Mo is finally getting a little bit easier I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. I know we're a bit of a distance, but you can call me anytime!

And yes, being able to put dinner on because you ordered it at drive thru is a life saver!! Unless you're trying to cut back on fast food and then it's back to scrambled eggs and toast for dinner...sorry kids.