Saturday, November 20, 2010

"But, It's Too Cold For a Parade!"

...this said by Kimberly as we bundled up with our parade blankets, gloves, hats and scarfs on the way to a parade in Layton celebrating the opening of the new freeway interchange and the road work on Main Street leading up to it.


I had to cover the event for my paper anyway, so I hauled all of the kids too so they could enjoy the massive amounts of free food they were handing out. I mean good stuff too - entire muffins, large pieces of yummy cake, popcorn, hot chocolate, cotton candy...my kids made out like bandits, and the cold was no longer an issue for them.

The parade was fun and not too long - even better. Of course, candy is essential for parades, and this one was no exception. It was pretty funny watching the kids trying to navigate candy wrappers with their gloves.

And who gets to see a parade with Santa waving from the driver's seat of a humungo front loader? (sorry no pics). I herded my crew over to see the lighting ceremony after the parade, then off to see Santa in one of the stores. When all was said and done, a very fun morning.

I think perhaps a big-miss-someone may be getting a titch too big for the big fellas lap.

And of course, no sign of Natalie going anywhere near Santa.
Does this really come as a surprise?

And in case you all were wondering, I have survived John's business trip as he comes home this afternoon - Yay! And just in case you missed it the first time, that would be YAY!! (yes, in very capital letters). Sadly, he may have another one in December, but I'll try not to think too much about that.

Since my Grandpa Joe needed to go to Virgina for a week, my Grandma Lynn joined me for a few days. We had a wonderful time, even enjoying a play put on by our stake last night. She also got up this morning and made Swedish hotcakes for us all. For those who may not know, this is a much-loved tradition I absolutely love about my grandma. I may have to have her come down more often when John is out of town.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

FUN!!! I have never heard of this parade before. Look at all the fun events you get to know about when you work for the news paper.

Gail said...

Grandma's are the best! Glad you got to spend some quality time with her.

Linda said...

Good times make the time apart go faster and it sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on writing for the paper

Janell said...

Brrrrrr! The kids were pretty excited, though, when they were telling me about the parade. They had a great time.