Monday, November 15, 2010

A Glimpse into Our Life with All Girls...

Only one suit in the mix - poor John surrounded by dress fluff.

I was reading some of my friends blogs recently, (yup, it could even have been yours, oh fellow blog reader of mine), when I was hit with the realization that my life raising all girls is quite different when compared to families who have sons added into the mix. I had read a blog about one family's adventures with wrestling and basketball camp. I headed onto another blog reading about cub scouts, another with their son decked out looking oh-so-handsome on his way to a school dance, and yet another about their son's skate boarding party.

I had an ah-ha moment. I will never, no never, experience any of those moments. My life is filled with buying frilly dresses, (and yes, I know where and when all the great dress sales are - if you're wondering, Easter and Christmas), straightening, curling, and blow drying unruly girl's hair (and constantly fixing the beautician-to-be's continual hair cuts), totally girl-themed parties, overflowing boxes of dress-up, barbie paraphernalia everywhere, too many bins to count of kitchen dishes and pretend food, and the gazillion or so craft projects laying around with the gadgets and gizmels to accompany said craft.

In fact, we were at a cabin with some friends a few months ago and I had brought a few crafts to keep the kids busy. One of the dads, who has all boys, turned to me and asked how often my girls do crafts because, and I quote, "my boys just don't do crafts - ever." What? A house without glue sticks stuck to the table, glitter on the floor, and tape, markers, crayons, etc. littering my counters causing my OCD havoc?

By no means would I change any of it. I love my girls beyond words. Besides, am I really missing out on much when I have this in my life 24/7:


We go through at least a watercolor paint tray a month (no, make that two).

Kimberly

Alicia

Alicia working on yet another craft. I buy glue in bulk.
Oh, and all forms of tape are a permanent fixture on my grocery list.

Kimberly and Alicia's room after they "decorated" it.

Kimberly and Alicia

Alicia and Kimberly in dress ups

Natalie

Alicia - notice the Barbie stuff on the bed behind her.

Not one ioda of boy costumes are found in our Halloween box :(

...and yes, you are reading the time right on this posting. It is almost midnight. I really need to get my sleepy head to bed, but I have such a hard time dragging myself up to a lonely bed while John is on business trips (see posting below).

5 comments:

michelle said...

I envy you at times. I would love it if my boys would sit and do crafts and such. It is definitely a different world having boys. I am sorry you are alone again, we should get together. Let me know if you need any help with your girls!

M. Nelson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M. Nelson said...

I'm the one who deleted the above comment. Too many errors--I hate that!

Cute post! And VERY cute girls! I just love them!

Boys are a little smelly, so you're off the hook!

I'm thinking I may actually be the one to blame for this. Growing up I wanted to get back at John for refusing to play Barbies with me. Maybe now that he is constantly tripping on Barbie paraphernalia I finally have my revenge! :)

Gail said...

I can relate on so many levels Dana! Having 3 girls...sometimes I feel like I'm drowning in cress up & lace, , dolls and yes...crafts! Thankfully Aaron loves art time and joins in most of those projects. (Unless it's just too girly.)

It is a challenge to have only one boy and 3 girls...if I could guarantee that the next one would be a boy so Aaron could have a brother I'd have another one in a heartbeat! But most likely, Grandpa Barker would whisper in God's ear, (laughing the entire time), "Just send them another girl!"

Janell said...

Actually, that crafting streak might partially be laid at John's door. He was incredibly clever with a roll of masking tape when he was young! :-)

Having grown up in a household of girls, I can tell you these are wonderful times -- and there are wonderful times ahead! A little emotional possibly -- but wonderful! :-)