Monday, August 31, 2009

The Last Couple of Months


My Dad - June 2009

I thought I would just share some of the thoughts I have been having over these last couple of months while dealing with the passing of my father. I have never been in these shoes before so I had no idea how the death of a loved one impacts ones daily life. Now I know, and also know that many of you have gone through this as well. I assumed that after such a tragic event, one does their best to pick up the pieces and simply do their best to move on with life. For the most part, this is what happens. What I did not realize is that there is now one piece of my life that is missing and sadly nothing can replace that missing piece.

For all 33 years of my life, my dad has been an integral part of it. He had a special gift for making others feel loved and always wanted to be a part of his kids' lives. I've not known a life without him, so I am now grappling with the concept of going through the next 33 plus years in a life without him. I do know that he is actively part of our lives from a different realm, but it is hard because it is just not the same.

One of the biggest shocks of the ordeal is the feeling of disbelief. I will often feel like he is still around - that I could call him up in a moment's notice. It is always a jolt of shock when I remember things have changed. Hand in hand with that feeling is the deep sorrow and sense of loss that seems to hover just over the surface when I think of him.

My mom pointed out that perhaps we are all hurting so much because he was such a loving dad, and we know what we are missing out on. I admire my mom so much for holding up despite this devastation. She is determined to be our rock and the person we can lean on, when I'm sure her grief and pain is double mine.

What I never knew about this kind of experience is that the pain of loss never really goes away. Shortly after dad's death, several people told me about this aspect of the situation. At first I didn't want to believe them because I wanted to think things would eventually return back to normal. What I have now come to accept is that things don't go back to becoming normal. They just become a new normal, and you learn how to cope with the non replaceable lost piece of the puzzle.

I find that I can usually stay upbeat and positive for the most part and stay out of the deep sorrow pot, but then I guess my emotions get tired of holding themselves up and I somehow slip into the pot and wallow in sorrow and grief for a time until my emotions get tired of all the sadness, and I jump out of the pot as quickly as possible.

Now more than ever, the words to the song 'Families can be Together Forever' have new meaning for me and I look forward to the day when we can all be reunited. Until then, I have faith in Heavenly Father's plan, even though I do not have all the answers and don't fully understand the whys. I know that someone who loves me very much is watching our for me and my family from above, and for the moment, this gives me great comfort.

The whole Meldrum Clan 2006

Dad and me in Hawaii September 1996

Dad and Kimberly 2005

Dad and my girls having yet another water fight :)

Dad with Kimberly 2000

Graduation Day - USU 1998

Dad and Kimberly 2001 in Victoria, B.C.

Sledding in Utah 2000

9 comments:

Janell said...

I am so impressed with your perspective at loosing your Dad. Even though the puzzle is missing a piece an that will not change for a long time, I think loved ones are always near by. Time does heal ALL wounds, even this one. Joys return, family becomes more dear, life is fuller as eternal families grow into new dimensions. Change is hard though.

I am so glad you are part of our eternal family too. God bless you all. Dad Rimington

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing that. I was wondering how you were doing.

It is weird, though, how life just goes on without our loved one. It seems like everything should stop. For a while at least.

M. Nelson said...

Dana, I admire your strength and perspective. What a support you probably are for your mom as well.

I think its wonderful you have such a great photograph of just your dad at the beach. I hope when you see it you can have a sense that he is still influencing your life, just in a different way.

I love you. I'm so glad you're my sister.

Smith Family said...

He really was the best Dad. I ditto everything you said.

James and Katrina said...

So glad to read your post. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dad. That must be really hard. I think you have a great eternal perspective.

Janell said...

Your post really touched me in many ways. I still miss my father even though he's been gone for quite a long time. Sometimes, though, I can feel him close by and I know he's watching over me.

PS - In case you didn't notice, the earlier post was actually from Ken. He wanted to comment and didn't have his own account so he used mine.

Vicki said...

Dana - Thank you for putting into words many of my own feelings. Words can't really express the emotions that I feel at the tremendous loss in all our lives but to see your children hurting sometimes is unbearable. Jake's comment last weekend to Christy while visiting - "You really missed Grandpa Meldrum don't you mom?" really tears at the heart strings. My greatest sadness is knowing that this very special grandpa will never be known by three & soon four grandchildren as they were too young at his death. I loved him deeply but have daily reminders of the joy he gave me and will now have to rely on the special years we had together to sustain us all through the coming years. May the laughter, friendships and love that we have shared continue with new memories to help fill the missing piece. My love to you always!

Love, Mom

Linda said...

I loved reading about you dad. It was a special tribute to him and to you! I know there is a piece missing, but with time the Lord has a way of helping you to find joy, love and peace again. I know more now than ever, that they are so close that we could touch them if we really knew which direction. Sometimes I have even felt like a wind going by and the energy of his presence. Dad has watched over me and so has George. He's just getting acquainted with your precious new girl before she comes.
We love you and are so glad you're in the family Dana.
Love,
Linda

Nelson Nine said...

Oh Dana, He is near by but not the way you want him to be. You have a great outlook so keep it up. I bet that he is really missing you too right now and looking forward to the day when he can be with you FOREVER!