Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Have a Problem

Yes that's right, and I am here to make it bloggingly public.

Let me begin by telling you about a recent outing our family had to visit some friends in Clinton this past Sunday evening. About 10 minutes into the 20 minute drive, I discovered something most disturbing. I had forgotten to grab my purse on the way out the door because I had been holding a bowl of salad in one arm, and Megan in the other. Yes I know, to an average woman, this wouldn't normally be a problem as John was driving, I didn't need my wallet and keys. But sadly, I am not the average-joe, because in my purse lay two very important must-have items I need to have on hand at all times: my chapstick and lotion.

I wasn't as worried about the lotion as I was the chapstick. I was pretty sure my friend would have lotion on hand, which she did in her bathroom, but not everyone uses chapstick like I do. I buy chapstick in bulk...monthly. I have a friend who told me once that she doesn't think she has ever finished a tube of chapstick...ever.

I on the other hand start to get desperate when my chapstick gets down to its final layer if I don't have a backup tube on hand. In fact, as we left Oregon this summer on our way home from a reunion, I applied my chapstick only to discover that it was nearly gone. Since I knew I couldn't make it the rest of the 9-hour trip with such a rinky-dink amount, I picked up a new tube at the very next gas station.

Yes, I know I have a problem. It all started when I moved down to Utah 17 years ago. My lips were used to the moist, ever-rainy weather conditions of the northwest. My lips (and hands) went into rebellion mode when they encountered the vast dryness of Utah. I compensated with chapstick (and lotion for the hands). And since then, it has never left my side.

I am teased mercilessly by family and friends. You would think this would change my habits.

No.

I am still sadly addicted to the addicting stuff. As another friend stated once, I must have the smoothest lips and hands in the neighborhood.

I am not worried. It is probably OCD, but as I have researched the disorder, it is only a mild form. In fact, I'll take my chapstick OCD over any of the other options out there.

That being said, I give you my full permission to chuckle, snicker, or even tease me if you see me apply yet again, more chapstick. Just know that my lips are sealed. Literally.

3 comments:

JRim said...

I have a chapstick in my bathroom cupboard, one in my top dresser drawer, one by my bed, two in my purse . . . you probably get the idea. I can't imagine going through a day without using mine several times! (Janell)

Nelson Nine said...

I am not surprised Janell posted on this one. She might actually have you beat on chapstick useage. Actually, isn't it funny that whenever you forget it, that is when your lips completely dry out in a matter of seconds! haha

The Heki Family said...

lol You are so funny. I am actually that way about lipstick. I want color on my lips. I am glad I had a tube of chapstick for you. :)