Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Scream, You Scream, We all Scream for Ice Cream Cake!

It was John's birthday yesterday. Because I am a most awesome wife and I love him, he got my first-ever homemade ice-cream cake!

I started with pouring only half of the prepared cake mix batter into a round cake pan. Once it was fully cooked, I let it cook on a wire rack, then placed a wax liner in the pan before kindly placing the cake back into its home.

I 'frosted' the top of the cake with slightly mooshy ice-cream, then covered it with plastic wrap and placed it in the freezer overnight.


The next morning, I microwaved ice-cream #2, then whipped it up in my Kitchen-aid, then frosted the second layer of ice-cream over the top of ice-cream #2. I froze that, then decorated it with whipped cream right before eating time. Oh, and I melted some chocolate chips and with a decorator's bag, did the writing.


Can you say YUM-M-Y? Yes it was.

I grew up with a Baskin-Robbins ice-cream cake for my birthday every year, but as most of you all know, I prefer homemade cake, so let me just say, this homemade version is far superior to what I can remember. Though that is not to discount how much I enjoyed my birthday cakes every year, because I did, immensely.

Now for picture catch-up since my last couple of posts were missing the best part of reading other people's blogs:


Alicia loves, loves her baby sister, and is always taking care of her (sometimes more than she or I likes), but it is times like this that are precious. Megan woke up with a fever one morning, so while I was getting breakfast for Natalie, Alicia came over and snuggled with Megan before school.


Kimberly was in a play at school - The Ugly Duckling - as a member of the geese clan. Here she is with her best friend, who was also a geese. (or a goose. or gossling. pick one).

And last but not least, here is troublemaker #1 and troublemaker #2:

I had just gotten them dressed in clean clothes for the day, and before I knew it, they were in the backyard playing in the sandbox, which usually isn't a problem, but we'd had some mega rainstorms during the night, so when I discovered where they had gone and called them back in, yes, you can imagine, they were a disaster. This picture really does not do it justice.

Thank goodness for the nice laminate flooring where I piled all of their clothes and sand, mud, dirt, etc. Until next time...



1 comment:

Nelson Nine said...

I am so impressed that you actually made an icecream cake. cute pictures.