Monday, April 12, 2010

Spring Break - The Good, The Bad and the Yummy.

The Good: I survived. Actually better than I thought I would. I think I may be getting the hang of four kids.

The Bad: I'm starting to run out of milk and Megan won't take a bottle. Not so good. Enter power pumping, some herbs to help increase my milk supply, and more table foods to help Megan get enough to eat. She now eats applesauce AND sweet potatoes. We're on a roll! (still no rice cereal, but who can blame her?)

The Yummy: One of the things we did to keep busy last week was visit the chocolate factory. Yummmm....



4 comments:

Gail said...

You survived too, huh?

Rice Cereal? I Wouldn't eat it either!

But, I'm a sucker for chocolate.

Linda said...

Sounds fun to me. I think you're a great mom.
Love,
Linda

Nelson Nine said...

The bad about spring break is that you know summer is just around the corner! haha

Melissa said...

Dana,
How do you know you're running out of milk?
Sometimes things happen that make us think our milk supply has dwindled, but can be misleading. For instance:
we leak less, or feel less full, or get less when we pump. This often happens after breastfeeding for a while. It doesn't mean that you're getting less milk, just that your body has adjusted to breastfeeding. Amount received from pumping is not necessarily a good gauge of milk supply.

Also, if your baby is acting hungry after eating, that could just mean she's hitting a growth spurt. It also doesn't mean that she's not getting enough. Remember that the more she nurses, the more milk you'll produce for the next feeding. And it's normal for her to show interest in other foods, even if she's getting enough milk.

Now if she's not gaining weight or having enough wet diapers, that might mean your supply is low.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, but you know me! :)