Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Fascinating!

You can see two butterflies in the cage and a
chrysalis hanging from the top.
I know - a terrible picture with the netting in the way,
but you get the idea, right?

For Christmas, Alicia received a Butterfly house with instructions on how to receive the caterpillars in the mail. After several weeks, she received tiny little caterpillars in a jar with their own food. They ate, pooped, and grew over several weeks. Then they climbed up to the top of their jar, hung down and turned themselves into a cocoon. It was fascinating watching the process!

After a good 10 days or so, two of the three butterflies have emerged. They have been eating sugar water and oranges. Hopefully the third butterfly 'hatches' in a day or so too and we'll have a whole herd of butterflies. I have never seen butterflies go through their cycle up close like this. I have been just as interested watching them as the girls.

________________________________________


I learned how to make bread this week. You'd think I would have learned how to do that by now, but since the invention of bread makers, there was never a need :)

Kimberly had to make bread for one of her projects during their pioneer unit. She was so excited to tell me about her project several weeks ago. Me - not so excited, especially since the instructions were very clear - no Rhodes and no bread makers. This was indeed a problem, to which John informed me that his mom had a very simple bread recipe she used when he grew up. Grandma Rimington emailed the recipe to Kimberly. I took one look at it and instantly knew this was not a recipe for me. Kneading is not theraputic for me like it is to others. They lovingly knead the dough into submission. I not-so-lovingly throw it across the room in frustration.

So, I found a nice and simple bread recipe online that had my Kitchen aid do all the kneading for Kimberly. She and her friend made their bread yesterday and it turned out amazingly well and was amazingly easy!

This is prior to the cooking of course.

Other events of this week include the torturing of my bod. Ever heard of P90X? Every inch of my body is wishing it had never even learned the meaning of exercise. ...and I'm only on Day Two. I have 3 more days of torture before the week is done and I get to start the process over again next week. ...My muscles are protesting and proclaiming their right to vote. Unfortunately for them, they don't get a say so. Here's to happy muscles in a few months with the new, muscly looking me!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you!! You can do it with Tony on your side LOL

James and Katrina said...

Looks like fun. I learned to make bread from Melissa and Anna at USU. How did you miss out? :)

tweston said...

Ha ha! I love making bread, Dana! I love you! I'm glad you found a recipe to fit your style. :)
Good luck with the p90X! I've heard of that and have been to chicken to look into it. I opted to go to the gym, which for students is free. Good luck! :D

Linda said...

Sounds like you're keeping quite busy. Congratulations on the bread Kimberly and mom. You're a great mom.
Love,
Linda

Nelson Nine said...

Cool butterflys. Good job on the bread. I also do not make "real" bread. You go girl on the exercising! I am working on Jillian Michaels 30 day shred right now. Leaves me laying on the ground in a pool of sweat and it is only 20 minutes. haha

Gail said...

1. The butterflies has me totally intrigued - where did you get them again? Emma once drew a really cool picture of the metamorphsis - I saved it in her art book.

2. Bread?? I have yet to attempt making bread, but really should.

3. P90X huh? Ya, it totally kicks your butt! My favorite Tony Horton quote, "I HATE it, but I LOVE it!" I feel the same way.
Our recent vacation totally derailed my progress, time to start up again. Did you buy the
P90X program or are you borrowing? The reason I ask, when you buy the program it comes witht he after-workout drink that really alleviates the soreness. You can buy the drink from Beach Body.

Janell said...

I'm so proud of the girls and their bread! Plus, the butterflies look like they were great fun!