Monday, June 29, 2009

An Unexpected Trip


I can't believe it's July this week already - my month of June was a blur as I spent most of my time in the northwest. This last week's venture up to Seattle was truly unexpected and unplanned, but as this week begins, I am counting my blessings, and thought I would share them with you.

Even though I miss my dad terribly, I am grateful to my loving mom and siblings who are still with me on this earth. I love them all so very much and appreciate all they do for me.

Words cannot express how thankful I am to have such a loving and supportive husband who has been my rock through all of this. He always seemed to know just the right things to say and know when to make me laugh, or when to let my cry.

My kids have been there to make me laugh (and cry in frustration, but I'll try not to think about that right now).
Several of these pictures are from the day after the funeral. When John booked our tickets, he suggested spending the day after the funeral doing something fun to help relieve the stress. My mom and two sisters thought that was a great idea too, so they and their families joined up with us. We spent the day in Seattle doing typical touristy things; walking along the waterfront, riding a carousel on one of the piers, eating fish and chips at Ivars, taking a ferry ride (something my girls have never done before), and checking out the sights around the space needle. It was just what we needed...thanks John for the great idea.

I am also deeply grateful to my extended family and friends. I have been lucky to be surrounded by such love this last month. Here is a picture of all the Meldrums in attendance last week. My dad was the youngest 0f 5 siblings, and well loved by all.

And here is our last family portrait with our dad. Okay, here come the tears...good thing I have Kleenex handy and a pan of brownies waiting for me up in the kitchen. I tell ya' - there is something to be said about chocolate being comfort food, because it has been my main stay for the last couple of weeks. Enjoy the pics, and I promise this will be my last boob fest on my blog and move onto to other fun things in our life.



3 comments:

Janell said...

Ok - thank goodness I had kleenex handy! What a special family you have. We're so grateful that you became part of our family, too. My prayers will be with you and your family in the days ahead. We love you!!!

Nelson Nine said...

Oh Dana, what a special tribute to your Dad! What beautiful pictures. How grateful we are for forever families. What a wonderful family you have and how blessed your Dad must feel to have you for a daughter!

Melissa said...

You look so beautiful in the funeral pictures by the flowers. I am sorry it has been a long month. I hope this next month will be filled with lots of happy things. Take Care.