Monday, April 2, 2012

Plaster dust by John

The only renovation job worse that sanding drywall is re-routing sewer lines! This is important to remember while you read on. You laugh, but try it some time.

Our basement is finally into the painting stage, but first some credit where credit is due. I hung most of the drywall several months ago between Christmas and New Years. While hanging one of the ceiling pieces, it slipped, I slipped, and my wrist started hurting. I thought I had simple sprained it. The mudding of the drywall took months because I could only do a little at a time before my wrist hurt. Two doctors and one chiropractor later, I learned my elbow was out of place. Yep, you read that right, my elbow was making my wrist hurt!

To keep the project moving, Dana, Kim, Alicia, and even Natalie joined in the mudding festival. Dana, Kim, and Alicia have spent hours sanding drywall joints. Remember my statement about which jobs are worst in a renovation?



















Even though the one picture looks like the abominable snow-woman, it is actually Dana. You'd be surprised at how much dust is created sanding plaster. The girls had a lot of fun covering screws and texturing the ceiling. Kimberly has actually helped with almost all stages of her room.

I don't think they knew what they were getting into when they volunteered to help. I will have to let a couple years pass by before I ask for renovation help again. Sounds kind of like labor and delivery.

What's better than BIG public Thank You! Without them, I would still be slowly sanding and mudding as my elbow heals.

2 comments:

JRim said...

You're a very lucky man! I don't think your Dad got any drywall sanding out of me. :-)

Nelson Nine said...

What a wife! and kids! Keep up the good work!