Monday, November 21, 2011

Change is Good Right?

I have such a hard time with change, but it was time for our ward to have another change apparently. Four and a half years ago, we were split off into a brand new ward in our stake. It took some time, but we all became friends and it was a lovely ward. Last night, we found out that we are loosing several streets and lo-and-behold, adding several streets from our old ward!

Thankfully, ward boundaries do not define my friendships, and thanks to good old facebook, it's a lot easier to keep up with everyone. I am confident our new ward friends will become a loving ward where we can feel unified, though I will need to be patient as it generally takes a year or two for that to happen.

Speaking of changes, I was thinking earlier this week about other changes. The winter season is definitely upon us, and though not my favorite season, I have loved getting up and feeling that extra nip in the air or getting all bundled up in sweatshirts and blankets to watch a movie now that it gets dark so early.

I've noticed that our habits change in the winter months. As opposed to the warmer months where we spend most of our time outside, our activities move inward during the colder months. We spend a lot of family time playing games, watching movies, and the kids have had to get extra creative of late with their activities.

One thing that has brought me great pleasure is seeing them play games together and find crafts they can work on together inside. It makes my heart happy seeing them getting along. Okay, so they don't get along all the time, but it's so nice to see those quiet moments when they are doing so.

This last week they have been making friendship bracelets up the wazoo. Kimberly also made this cute craft to-do board one afternoon - all on her own. I love that the winter months do that - bring the kids inside where they have to learn to play together and remember how to be nice.

In fact, I have to brag about Kimberly a little bit. The other night, John and I were gone, so Kimberly was babysitting. The two younger ones were in bed, so it was just Alicia and Kimberly hanging out until it was time for them to go to bed, at which point, Alicia started crying because the warts she had recently had frozen off were hurting pretty bad. Kimberly called us, and we were on our way home, but about 15 minutes away.

When we got home, we discovered the two girls up in the bathroom just chatting away. Kimberly had started talking to Alicia to keep her mind off her toes, and they ended up having a good conversation, just the two of them. Not only did it warm my heart to see Kimberly being so thoughtful to her sister, it was nice to see the two of them enjoying each others company. I hope that continues as I am so grateful for the friendships I have with my siblings.

On a complete side note, we made it Disney on Ice this year. Sadly, my Grandma Lynn, who treated us to the tickets, ended up being sick, as well as John, so we had two extra tickets. Thankfully, two of their friends were happy to use the tickets, and a saint-of-a-mother (aka me) took them all. by. myself. They had a wonderful time, as did I, but I was glad to be home under one roof where I didn't have to make sure all of my chickadees were under my wings in a crowded place.

And what would a blog post be without the latest cute picture of Megan...

1 comment:

The Heki Family said...

I love the "to do" board. How creative!