Wednesday, August 24, 2011

One Doesn't Look Like the Other


Our lone zucchini from the garden got put to good use tonight. How can such a disgusting looking creation of brown goo with chunks of thinly sliced vegetable actually turn into such a sweet-tasting concoction? I have never figured out the secret to zucchini bread's success, but here you have it, my zucchini bread from tonight where I added my favorite ingredient to one loaf, while my other loaf remains naked.

I have one daughter who hates having chocolate chips in anything other than the occasional chocolate chip cookie. How can that possibly be when she is of my direct lineage? I put chocolate chips in everything - cinnamon rolls, Rice Krispie treats, Brownies, and yes, even zucchini bread. Every time I make something, she requests I leave some chocolate-chip less. How un-fabulous tasting is that? Apparently to her taste buds, mighty taste worthy. My thoughts? Simply atrocious. and yes, I do buy chocolate chips in bulk, on a very regular basis.

The other thing I discovered about the zucchini bread making process tonight, is that I think my oldest daughter, Kimberly (the very one who hates the brown kissy-looking things in the baked goods), has surpassed my baking skills.

She has been the one baking zucchini bread for the last couple of years. Apparently this year, she has moved on to bigger and better things as I couldn't talk her into whipping up a batch with our lone zucchini, so I was relegated to the infamous chore. I mean really, we can't have a garden zucchini go to waste, especially if it will be our only budlet this summer, right?

I opened my recipe book up to the page with my delicious zucchini bread recipe, and lo-and-behold, she has made her own notes! What?!? ...and I quote...'add ginger for extra sweetness.' Uh, guess I should take some cooking classes, as I'm a stick-to-the recipe type gal, nary a waver from the printed out instructions. I do believe Kimberly has got some of her dad's culinary skills when it comes to adding a little bit of this, and a little bit of that, always informing me she has added a secret ingredient to things. So far, she's had good success with amazingly, no weird tasting secret ingredients out of place.

Well, now that the bread is done, I do believe I will have a bedtime snack before getting some much-needed shut-eye. mmmmm...

1 comment:

Janell said...

If you need zucchini, we can certainly find you some! :-)