Wednesday, June 22, 2011

To Everything There Is a Season --

-- and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; ... and a time to love. (Ecclesiastes 3: 1, bits and pieces from 2, 4, 5, and 8)

As the dreaded anniversary of my father's passing two years ago approached last week on the 18th, with aching sorrow still coursing deep through my veins over the loss of someone so dear to me, I was thinking of these verses in the Old Testament, favorites of mine since my teen years.

I certainly had my time to weep on this particular day two years ago, but this year, on this marked day, was a new time -- a time to laugh and embrace with my siblings and mom as we reunited for a special time to love, that of my brother's wedding to a beautiful gal named Liz. Theirs is the story of second chances with a bright future.

Brice and Liz

...and their kids, Jimmie (Brice's boy, age 3, and Gracie, Liz's daughter, age 4)


Yes, there were some tears shed on such a special day for my brother with dad so poignantly missing, but we simply continued on with the good times and laughter that always accompanies our get-togethers and knew he probably wasn't too far from the fun. I have learned an incredible lesson over these last two years in that I now recognize the hands of heaven that touch our lives, impeccably placed at opportune times.

Here's all of us - top , Shannon and Brice - bottom, Christy, my mom, and me.

Shannon, Me, Christy
You'd think we were sisters or something.

The trip up to Seattle and Portland was a pure luxury for me. See this ---

That's right, not one Rimington girlie in sight (other than me). Blessed silence.

With all of John's business travels of late, we decided I needed a break from motherhood, so John and the girls loaded me up on the plane with just my small suitcase and some good books and off to the Northwest I went.

Shannon and I gulping in the sights of the sound and soaking in rays of Seattle sunshine at Ivars, one of the most heavenly places to eat seafood.

When I arrived, it was beautiful, sunny skies with trees as far as the eye can see. For a couple of days, I was wondering why I had left such a beautiful place. Then the rain hit on Saturday, and I remembered - clearly - why I fell in love with Utah. When I first moved to Logan, I was thinking how beautiful the sunshine was. Then I awoke for the next several weeks asking myself, "Is that really the sun up again? How did I not know such a place existed?" Hence the reason I do not want to budge from this sunny state (albeit a little cold in the winter, but the blessed powder skiing makes up for it).

If you don't believe me on the whole tree thing, here's proof:

Even the freeway is surrounded by trees (just try and find a sliver like this in Utah):

But, you can see the miserably-looking overcast/rainy skies and you know what I mean about the payoff for living in such a beautiful place.

Anyway, now that I have severely digressed from the main topic at hand, let me get back on track.

Before the wedding, my sister, Shannon and my mom decided to travel over to a town north of Seattle known for their whole German town feel. We even had German food for dinner.

Leavenworth, WA


After the wedding, I zipped on down to Portland with my sister, Christy where she fed me, entertained me, and I didn't have to cook a single meal, or discipline a single child. It was divine. Truth be told, I did start to miss John and my girlies, so I enjoyed returning home to their love.

Thanks Meldrummers for a most incredible weekend. I miss all of you already. Good thing I get to see you all in just a couple weeks for Meldrum Reunion #2 and #3.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your father's head stone is beautiful. I'm so glad that you were able to go visit him. Looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm sure it was a nice little break for you. You deserved it!