Monday, December 20, 2010

Gingerbread Houses - Another Successful Year

Gingerbread houses are an annual tradition for us. This year, I made sure to take John with me to get candy as he has not appreciated my candy selection in years past (apparently the gummy bear year was not a hit for him. For the record, the kids liked having gummy bears to ice skate on their ponds). Anyway, we had a much better candy selection this year thanks to John. Good thing too because he is the gingerbread house expert having done them with his family all growing up.



Megan made short work of the marshmallows.

Okay, technically we did not use actual gingerbread for the houses. Thankfully, the Graham Cracker makers clued in and made specialized gingerbread crackers this year.

The Final Products:




On a side note: another Christmas tradition for us is making fudge. I whipped up a batch last night and discovered something unpleasant...I had a few small bites, and my stomach went into rebellion with the sugar overload. I was appalled! How dare my stomach betray me like that. In all fairness to my beloved keeper of food, there are 4 1/2 cups of sugar, 3 cups chocolate chips, 2 sticks of butter, and marshmallow cream in the fudge. Sure fire way for me to stay away from the dang stuff over the next few days if I don't want a tummy ache.

5 comments:

Gail said...

I didn't see the special graham crackers this year - I will definitely have to look for those next year.

Nice job guys!

Janell said...

Great tradition!

I've never seen those gingerbread crackers. I'll have to be on the lookout. I might even give one a try! :-)

Unknown said...

I have never seen those graham crackers before. Do they taste good? I would buy them just to eat :)

Michael said...

Where's John's house? What's the matter? Chicken?! :-P

The Heki Family said...

LOve the houses. WE need to do that with our family.