Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cops Everywhere!

This is the sight I got to behold in the wee hours of morning today. I was looking forward to a nice, sleep-in (if you can call 8:30 a.m. sleeping in) and relaxing Saturday morning to make up for the disaster experience I had yesterday with all 4 of my girls at the UPS store (think girls playing in the shipping popcorn, and that about sums up my experience).

Bus alas, it was not to be so. One of my editors called and asked if I would cover the Shop With a Cop event early this morning. I had done my prep work and chatted with the head-honcho in charge knowing full well they do a procession with nearly 50 (trust me, I counted) sheriff cars, patrol cars, dare cars, and paramedics filled with kids in need all headed for a local Walmart with $100 gift certificates donated by local businesses and individuals (which for the first time included a check from us after being slightly guilted into it during a phone request last week).

My timing was impeccable as I got off the freeway just in time to be stopped at the light while all of the law enforcement cars proceeded past me. I was surprised at how emotional I was seeing all of the lights flashing and sirens blaring with kids' excited eyes peering out the windows. Nothing like getting a front row seat.

After all the cars parked in the Walmart parking lot, we watched and I held onto my notes for dear life as the life-flight helicopter descended with Santa Claus in tow. It was such an awe-inspiring event to which I was very grateful I had gotten up in the wee-hours to witness.


My awe-inspiring glow all but dissipated when I came home to clean up the swimming pool created from the overflowing toilet water in the bathroom while listening to the strains of girls fighting upstairs. *sigh* At least now the floor is clean and the din has finally come down a notch as the girls quietly eat their lunch. Nothing like a bunch of food to keep my girls' mouths occupied.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a choice experience to cover. As for the toilet, I have found that this to shall pass. Please don't edit my writing. Oh to write like most of you!

Janell said...

That would have been quite a sight to see. At least they weren't flashing their lights BEHIND you! :-)

tweston said...

That is so neat! Not so much the last part though.....