Sunday, September 19, 2010

Overdue

We were overdue for some 'alone' time - out of the house without someone under the age of 11 begging for our attention - the good or the bad kind. We had originally planned to go hiking on Friday evening as a whole family, that is until 3 p.m. hit.

After breaking up a wrestling match, reminding the girls for the millionth time to stop arguing, and telling Natalie yet again to stop screaming, I was at my wits' end and called the first babysitter I could think of. Success. She was available, so 30 seconds after John walked in the door, I sped away to retrieve the babysitter so we could enjoy the sounds of nothingness here...



See how relaxed I look? It was just what I needed as we hiked through the canyon and enjoyed the grandeur of leaves changing color. It was a full hour before we encountered another soul on the trail, which just so happened to be a scout troop and their leaders.

Four hours later and some Japanese food in our bellies (including my all-time favorite eel roll), we decided to come home again, this time to the kids sleeping soundly in their bed (well, mostly). That is until we were rudely awoken at 5 a.m. to the fire alarms shrieking at us and announcing "Fire-Fire."

No sign of fire, and no sign of any disturbance in any of our kids either. Nice for this morning with the false alarm (apparently a faulty sensor), but not so nice for future occurrences, especially if Kimberly is babysitting for us. We had a serious chat with the girls about the extreme importance of heeding the fire alarm. I'm a little uncertain if any of it registered in their subconscious brain, but I'm hoping the part about dying maybe tweaked a brain cell or two.

3 comments:

Denni said...

I'm glad you guys got to go out. It's so needed alot!!! We need to get together for lunch here soon. I say a soup day or something. I've got a yummy cream cheese chicken soup. :)

Nelson Nine said...

It is amazing what getting out for a little while can do for you and we all need it--even when your youngest child is 6 and they are all in school! Good job recognizing it and doing what needed to be done. Oh, and you are a great Mom--don't let the tantrums tell you otherwise!

The Heki Family said...

Yes I agree. YOu are a great mom. I a glad you were able to go out. We should have a double date sometime soon.