Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'll never do another star cake again...

...Because I have discovered how easy and fun it is to do a fondant cake!!

Thanks to one of my friends who taught me how to make an easy fondant with easy-to-follow instructions, Kimberly has a fabulous cake for her birthday! I will forever more be using fondant instead of stars. A star cake usually took me several hours. This cake? One hour with Kimberly's help.

Update: We ate the cake last night, and all of us were in agreement: the fondant does not taste very good. All of us ended up pulling the fondant off and eating the cake with the yummy butter cream frosting used to stick the fondant to the cake. (Even Natalie spit the fondant out with a resounding "ewww") I'm not sure how this will affect my future cakes. I think I will use the butter cream frosting to frost the cake and smooth it over as much as possible, and then use fondant for the cake decorations.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Dana, your cake turned out so cute! Good for you for making a bow. It took me a while to get those down. Yay!

zohner said...

Wow... That's awesome.

Gail said...

So pretty!
I'm not into making cool-looking cakes. In fact for mine and Mike's birthday we've become fond of pie. But, whenever we ask the kids if they want pie or cake for their b-days they always choose cake - but then they never eat it and it tempts me until I finally throw it out.

Smith Family said...

It looks so pretty! I don't think I could ever do that! Too bad it didn't taste so great.

The Heki Family said...

It is gorgeous Dana. Good job! It looks so hard. I have to admit, I have tasted fondant before. It isn't very good.

Nelson Nine said...

The cake looks so awesome. I have heard that fondant doesn't taste good but it is so easy to work with. Good luck in the future!

Nelson Nine said...

Oh, I forgot. I can't believe that Kimberly is 10! And by the way, you look just the same. I thought it was a picture of you and megan.

Janell said...

I'm impressed!!!