Monday, November 23, 2009

Making Dinner and Fun in the Same Sentence?

Once again, the dreaded Sunday night chore was upon me yesterday...cooking dinner.

What is supposed to be a grand, lavish meal is in my fact my least-favorite meal to cook each week. I take Sunday rest to heart and truly don't feel up to snuff when it comes to lifting my fingers to make a sabbath feast. My ultimate favorite meal to make on Sunday is pancakes. Sigh...a meal made in heaven with minimal prep, eating, and clean-up.

Yesterday I had put off the inevitable as long as possible while the girls contently played Star Wars Monopoly with John and I made some phone calls to family. I found myself scouring through my cook book at 6:10 p.m. (I know, that is what time we should have been eating, not starting the meal process) trying to find something quick and easy when I came across an idea my sister, Marian shared with me many months ago.

Omelets in a Bag! I cut up ham, broccoli, cheese, and tomatoes and had the girls do their own meal prep (this I like). We opened up the Ziplock freezer bags, added 2 eggs to each bag and mooshed the eggs. Then we put the bag into a large cup so we could add our toppings without the bag tipping over, then squeezed out as much of the air as possible, sealed the bag and popped them into a large pot of boiling water. We cooked them for about 15 minutes, then slid the omelets out onto a plate and wa-la! I think I found a new favorite Sunday meal. Now to start the process all over again and figure out what we're making for dinner tonight.


6 comments:

The Heki Family said...

How fun and creative! I am going to have to try that.

Linda said...

That sounds great and I love eggs and omelets. Your blog is lots of fun to read.
Linda

Unknown said...

Fun!! I'll have to try it!

Anonymous said...

I am soo glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't enjoy fixing a huge meal on Sunday. I grew up with roasts and potatoes and wonder..should I being doing this too? I like the creative omelet idea. I am going to give this a try. Thanks for sharing..! =)

Nelson Nine said...

I think I am going to have to try that!

Michael said...

14-year-olds like this meal, too. I've done this at camp before. I think they mostly like the "no dishes" aspect of the preparation.