Sunday, March 8, 2009

New Experience

I had a new experience yesterday - I rode a horse! I can't claim that it is my first time, because I have ridden a horse one other time many, many years ago. Kimberly has been taking horse lessons for nearly two years, and her teacher wants to take her trail riding out on Antelope Island. I wanted to make sure I was able to go with her, so I am taking a few lessons myself to prep me for the trip. The current plan is for us to go out to Antelope with the horses in two weeks if the weather is good. I am looking forward to it, but not the horse bum part (you know, when you get bow legs after sitting on a horse for too long.)

After riding the horse, Kimberly and I came home to a house full of chores. Dreary, I know, but in the process of cleaning house, I got a call from one of our friends who said they were headed to the Salt Lake temple that night to do sealings and wanted to know if we could join them. Of course John and I were interested in going, as we haven't been to the temple in awhile, so we found a babysitter (rather quickly for such short notice - I was amazed) and planned to rearrange our Saturday afternoon schedule. We had promised to take the girls swimming, but didn't plan on leaving until 4ish. In order to make it to the temple, we would have to leave earlier.

After putting all of our plans in place, I decided I better check our temple recommends. I was pretty sure we had another year left before they expired because I remembered sitting down with our new bishopric with our temple recommends sometime after our ward split (summer of 2007). My heart dropped when I saw the date on our recommends had expired. Oh yah, we met with the bishopric to get them updated to the computer version. Sigh...we were not going to be able to go with our friends to the temple after all. Let me tell you, it is a very unsettling feeling to know that a group of our friends were headed out to the temple, and we had made all the necessary arrangements to join them, but in the end, we had not made the most important arrangement of all - the thing enabling us to enter the Lord's house. Guess you know what we'll be doing this week, huh?

In the end, we did have a lovely time swimming with the girls. The last time we went as a family, Natalie did not have such a good time. This time all the girls had a wonderful time, and we enjoyed some quality family time. Afterward, we picked up some yummy Mexican food from Bajio, then enjoyed some nice warm showers to clean off the chlorine.

All in all, a very eventful Saturday.

2 comments:

Janell said...

When we went to Yellowstone, we were supposed to visit the Rexburg Temple but on the morning we left, the friends we traveled with discovered the same problem. We drove by and looked at the outside but were sad we weren't able to follow our original plan to do a session.

Oh - the riding lesson looked fun!

Nelson Nine said...

I almost missed two important weddings because of expired recommends. Made me more on the ball I hope!