Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Girls Redecorating Ideas

Beware when your two crafty girls come up to you and say, "Come check out our room...it's really cool!" It may look like this...


We have 9 a.m. church, so we have lots of hours to kill each Sunday afternoon. This Sunday was no exception. After the girls had spent a good chunk of time watching TV and playing Wii (atleast I got my nice quiet time in there), I banned them from all electronics. Of course, this sends Alicia into the usual whining mode of, "...but I have nothingggg to dooo...I'm soooo bored." I told them to play a game with each other. This lasted only a few minutes before they were fighting. They eventually found themselves cutting away with paper and using lots of tape. I had no idea what they were doing, but they weren't fighting and they were keeping busy, so I kept my butt out of the picture.

About an hour later, my kitchen table and computer desk looked like a hurricane had blown through and the kids started begging me to come check out their room. I have to admit, it is a new look for their bedroom. They call it the rainforest themed room.

I love that my girls are crafty. It keeps them busy, and they learn how to clean up after themselves too. Saturday was another craft afternoon for them. As happens on a very rare Saturday afternoon, none of their friends could play. This left them to their own devices and they decided they wanted to paint old lightbulbs they found in one of my closets (where do they get their ideas?!?). They tried watercolor paint, but of course it did not stick on the light bulb. I let them use my fancy paint, but only with strict instructions that they wear paint shirts and paint with the paint on paper plates outside. Their bulbs actually turned out pretty good, along with all the paper plates they painted as well.

I just remembered another craft project Kimberly did with her friend Evie on Friday. They made a really, really long paper chain, then went up and down the street asking people to guess how many links were on the chain. The one with the closest answer got a treat. I of course was not aware this was going on until my friends told me later that evening about the chain guessing contest. Apparently Melissa was the winner and recieved a yummy tootsie pop as a prize!

Anyway, back to Sunday. I should have taken a picture of the paper disaster. It was awful! I made the girls clean it up so we could get started on dinner. We had yummy crock pot pork chops with parmesan potoates. It was a new recipe I tried out and it was a hit with everyone. After dinner, we pulled out the game Risk. This is our new favorite thing to do on Sunday evenings after dinner - last week we played Yatzee and I think we played the Phase 10 the week before that. It's fun that the girls are both old enough to enjoy more adultish games now. Natalie usually rotates sitting on our laps throughout the game, which ended after she saw how funny it was to throw things (i.e. dice and her bear) at the game board to see how many people she could knock down. At that point, I plopped her in front of the fridge where she became occupied with magnets until the end of our game.

One would think it is an incredibly long game, but we like to play with the cards giving you specific tasks to complete. Once you complete all of your tasks, you are the winner. Alicia won and the game only lasted an hour and a half (versus the 3 hours it has taken us in the past).

3 comments:

M. Nelson said...

Very cute and inventive. Who wouldn't want to sleep under a paper rain forest?

Smith Family said...

How did they get the paper strips on the ceiling?

Janell said...

I remember their Dad did incredible things with a roll of masking tape and some paper! :-)