Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Meldrum Time!


We just got back from Lincoln City, Oregon where we had a wonderful get-together with the Meldrums - all 17 of us.  The above professional pictures are just a sneak peak from the photographers' website.  We'll have the full set of pictures in a few weeks when she gets back from vacation. 

Here are a few of the highlights from the trip:

I remembered that you are never too old to act like a kid again when you're hanging out with our clan - there are even enough team members for kickball and volleyball!



 There was this awesome park across the street from the house we stayed out that had a large field, play toys, sand volleyball pit, and even a fire pit. 

 Here is the house we stayed at.  It was perfect, especially since it was within walking distance of the beach.  Christy and Brice's families brought their bikes, so we were able to bike around the neighborhood too. 


Speaking of the beach, I learned something else from the reunion.  As always, when we find ourselves amidst the rain in life - like we did on the beach for couple of the days . . .


...the sun always finds its way back out again . . . 




 
 Yah, I know we're missing Alicia in this picture.  She ran back to the house before we could take a family snapshot.  And yes, that is a starfish Kimberly is holding. 


The kids loved checking out the tide pools.  

On the first day, before we headed out to the beach, we stopped at a water park.  It was a tad expensive, especially for the six of us, so my sister found out about a scholarship program they do for people who write an essay about how water is important to them, and the winner gets free tickets.   

Crazy enough, my essay was selected, so we got 4 free tickets!  Woo-hoo!!


The water park was really fun, especially since the water slides came out of an actual Boeing airplane.
The whole goal of our yearly reunions is to stay connected with our family, feel of each others' love, and let the cousins build friendships.  I love my family - all 17 of them.  There are simply no words to express how much they mean to me and what they have done for me through the years.  

So, getting the chance to be with everyone under one roof for four days, reminisce, laugh until we pee our pants (them, not me), and even share a few tears - that is what it is all about.  There is simply nothing that can replace it.  


 What more can I say?  Now the cousins will get the chance to forge powerful friendships between them and continue on with the Meldrum love.  


Another thing I was reminded of on the vacation is that your family gets you.  They even get and love you when you run their car over a cement wall, resulting in a very stuck, very high-centered car.  

Yes, I am the one who seems to wrack up the most car 'incidents'.  I was trying to move my brother's Honda so I could get my car out.  Sad to say I failed to take any pictures because we were too busy trying to figure out how to get the car back over the cement wall (let it be known - SMALL little wall - and very hidden from my view from the driver's seat).  Thanks to some genious engineering from the guys, who made a small ramp out of rocks behind the wall and drove the tire on the rock-ramp, over the wall and back into the driveway.  Thankfully, no damage was done.  Phew.  

I also learned another important lesson:  we were able to stare grief in the eye without even thinking twice.  A year ago, imagining a family photo without my dad was unthinkable.  However,  we sucked in our sadness and managed to accomplish the task - some beautiful family photos on the beach that I can't wait to see.  

And now a handful of other pictures to share . . . 


Mom with several of the cousins

The crazies, aka Kimberly and Dereck running out to the frigid water.

Well, at least they got to catch some waves out in the freezing water.

The long set of stairs we had to take to reach the beach.

Hmmm.  Apparently the cousins felt the iPad version of Life was better than the real version.  


Grandma and Megan


Roasting S'mores with the clan.

As the fun-filled reunion came to a close, it was hard to say goodbye, knowing it would be awhile before we were all back together again.  

No worries - the family simply loaded themselves into our car and said they were coming with :)


 I'm already looking forward to next year's reunion. 

No comments: