Sunday, October 16, 2011

This 'n' That 'o' Fun

Finally, a post with lots of pictures!!!

Here's what we've been up to of late:

Megan had her birthday on Thursday and turned TWO!!

Umm, I think she likes cake.

I tried an idea I got off pinterest - a rainbow cake. I had just frosted the top when Kimberly decided it was too boring, so she and her friend 'livened' up the top and sides a bit.

It was really easy - just whip up a batch of white or yellow cake, divide it out into six bowls, color each a different color, pour into cake pan one at a time creating the colorful layers, cook, and then wa-la! Rainbow cake. The girls have all put in their requests for rainbow cake on their birthdays. Done!

The basement is progressing along. The bedroom and den are completely framed up, and all of the electrical wires and lights are put in. Thanks to John's dad's help, the electrical box has also been replaced. That was an all-day task with no power.

Now John is working on putting in the heat registers and rerouting the heat ducting. It can sure get a little loud around here when he's drilling into the heat exchange (I think that's what it is called). It's cute to see Megan and Natalie quickly covering their ears when it starts.

We found out Alicia is far-sighted and needs glasses to read. So far, so good in the headache department. She was getting them far too regularly. P.S. Don't always trust the school vision screenings. They did not catch her eye problems. In fact, I should probably take Kimberly in for that matter. Our kids are doomed in the glasses department with both John and I having glasses.

With all the warm weather of late, John has been able to finish the front part of the walkway on the side of the house - you know, that part of the yard that gets constantly trampled and the grass has no hope for staying alive - yah, that part of the lawn. It looks so much better now, and we'll hopefully be able to finish back behind the gate if the weather continues to stay nice into this week.

Don't worry, John has put us all to work too. We have gotten very good at hauling the pavers around and unloading the dirt from the trailer at the dump site.

We also made it out for our annual pumpkin patch trip to retrieve pumpkins. We always hop on board for the hay ride and even better, it was a beautiful day for it yesterday.

I think that's it for now. You are officially caught up on our lives. Well, most of it anyway.
Until next time - adieu!

3 comments:

M. Nelson said...

It's a good thing you and the girls are now so good at hauling pavers. We're saving that project around here for when you come to visit!

Tell Alicia her new glasses are adorable.

Nelson Nine said...

So fun to catch up on your family! You give me great ideas.

The Heki Family said...

I love the pavers. wE need to do the same. Tell john good job on the construction. You are so good at blogging. I always take pictures and they are on my computer and I am on facebook all the time but I always forget to update my blog. Thanks for inspiring me! :)