Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Sometimes these things just happen."




Having a new baby in ones house is like having a little piece of heaven in your home. Nothing compares to having a new little being around who has just come from her heavenly home. We have all enjoyed these new moments with Megan over the last couple of weeks.

As I mentioned in the previous post, we took all extra cautions we could think of in keeping our new little one healthy. After a week, we were all still healthy despite a devastating sweep of the flu through our neighborhood. We felt very lucky we had somehow missed its path of illness. The only issue we were currently dealing with was Megan's jaundice and high bilirubin counts. After three days of enduring the light bed, Megan's bili count was not coming down very quickly, so her pediatrician advised me to pump for 24 hours and feed her formula to see if we could bring the count down quicker.

We started feeding her formula, but within the next 12 hours, she stopped eating and had not produced any wet diapers. I quickly got her into the doctors office and was devastated to hear the doctor ask me if Megan had been around anyone sick as she had some lesions on the back of her throat. It was obvious to the doctor that Megan was not eating because she was currently fighting an infection of some sort. I was completely distraught as we had done everything possible to keep Megan protected from illness.

Megan was immediately placed in the NICU at the hospital where she began a a series of icky tests and treated for dehydration. I could not stay to watch the tests as the first test - a spinal tap - was done. I spent the next 2 hours in the waiting room thinking about how we had come to this situation despite all of our best efforts.

As I discussed my concerns with the doctor later, she informed me that sometimes these things just happen no matter how much prevention we do. Since Megan has completely recovered and has since come home from the hospital - thanks to all of the prayers and thoughts sent our way from many of you - I have thought of the doctor's words many times as we continue our efforts to keep our family healthy. It occurred to me that sometimes we do everything we can to protect our children from harm or pain. However, no matter how much we do, sometimes our kids will have to go through hard things and we as parents have to sit back and watch. I can see now why Heavenly Father had to go to the far corners of the heavens rather than watch his Son suffer in the Garden of Gethsemene just as I could not watch my week old daughter endure some very painful tests.

I have learned in just a few short weeks that our kids are most precious and sometimes things just happen no matter what we do to try and prevent it. Thankfully we have a loving Heavenly Father who is there to help us when we need support as we watch our kids endure something painful.

8 comments:

M. Nelson said...

I'm soooo glad she's okay. What a scary thing for such a tiny girl. I wish I could be there to hold her...after I washed my hands, of course.

She is looking a lot like Alicia to me.

Janell said...

We are so THRILLED that she is home. We love you all so much and will come to visit when we're POSITIVE that we are all well. In the meantime, we're grateful for your blog to keep us up to date!

James and Katrina said...

I'm so glad your sweet baby is back home in your arms. Yes, watching our children (our babies) is unbearable. I hope you all continue to be well! Plus, thanks for your comments on Julia.

Anonymous said...

What great words and ones I needed to hear! I'm soo glad that she is doing well. What an ordeal to go through with a newborn. I'm soo sorry!

Nelson Nine said...

Darn these Barker eyeballs! I can't even look at her picture or think about her without crying. What a precious little gift! We are still keeping up the prayers in your families behalf. She is beautiful!

Unknown said...

So glad that Megan is finally home! I just want you to know that I think you are a wonderful mother!

Shelley said...

Oh...Dana! So scary! We've been in the NICU before too. Caleb spent his first 11 days there. We had the lovely blue light with Josh, too!
You must be absolutely exhausted.

She is an absolutely beautiful baby, though! I can't believe how grown up all your kids are getting. It makes me feel so old to think that my college friends/roomies have kids that big and that I have kids that big!!

Where did the time go!

The Heki Family said...

I'm so glad she is well now. YOu are a great mother and sometimes things just have to happen.