Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sad Day

I love to write and talk, so this is very unusual for me to not know exactly how to write this particular entry. I am having a hard time seeing the computer screen though my tears as I type, which is also very unusual - I don't normally type and cry at the same time, but I have just sent in my last article for the Salt Lake Tribune after four years of nearly weekly stories I wrote for the paper. Sadly, they have had to let all of their freelance correspondents go due to budget cuts.

It was the most perfect job and I thought to myself constantly how lucky I was to be able to pursue my passion for journalism writing while still being able to stay home with my children. I spent four wonderful years working for the Tribune meeting some of the most fascinating people. On the other hand, I also met many people who were very uninteresting - always entertaining trying to write a story after an interview where they had nothing to say!

I know these economic times are tough on everyone, and sadly our lives have been affected as well. Logically, I knew it was only a matter of when, not if I would lose my job with the paper. Newspapers are having a terrible time keeping up subscriptions, and many papers are simply going out of business.

However, my Grandma Lynn has instilled in me the quote, "It could always be worse..." She used to say that to us all the time growing up, so it is usually the first thought that runs through my mind when something not so fun happens. I am so very lucky to have a wonderful and loving husband. I have three beautiful daughters who keep me on my toes. I would lose a thousand wonderful jobs just to have these people in my life.

Another thought comes to mind as well, that where one door closes, another window opens. As sad as I am to lose my job, I have always wanted to pursue writing for magazines. It is a very demanding proposition, one that takes a lot of time with no immediate results, so it has always been a little daunting to me. I never had the time since I was writing regularly for the Tribune, but now I most certainly have the time! I went to the library last night and got a whole pile of books to get me started on the task. Wish me luck and hopefully in the next few years, I will have a new perfect job and will once again tell myself how lucky I am to be doing something I love.

5 comments:

Janell said...

I have do doubt that you will succeed at whatever you set your mind to! You have tremendous talent.

Anonymous said...

I read your writings in the Tribune. They were wonderful! I am sad that it has come to an end. Good luck with the magazines...Let me know when they get published. I want to read them also!

Nelson Nine said...

I am sad for you too but I have no doubt that you will succeed wherever you go in whatever you decide to do. I love your positive attitude!

Melissa said...

I am sorry to hear your sad news. You are so positive! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Melissa said...

Sorry, Dana. I hope you get something else you love to do just as much or more.