Monday, July 18, 2011

To My Meldrum Clan - This One's for You...

It was to be a historic reunion, one that had never happened before in my lifetime that I could remember, other than a handful of weddings and funerals. One thing we all agreed on was that we didn't want to have another 'reunion' at a funeral anytime soon.

It all began with two people,
my Grandma Lucy and Grandpa James Meldrum.
Five kids later, my dad being the youngest,
and 31 grandchildren from them, me included,
all came to be a part of the Meldrum Clan.

It really wasn't until after my dad passed away two years ago that I realized what it truly meant to be a Meldrum. When I was looking for some comfort in my Grandma Meldrum's history (since my dad didn't leave one behind), I was reading her last paragraph that says this:

"My prayer is that I can live to see my grandchildren and great grandchildren and enjoy their love. I love my children very much. I think as one grows older, one begins to understand what love really is. I love my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I feel so blessed to have such a beautiful family."

It was then that I felt my grandma's words of love reach out and engulf me. At that moment, I realized being a Meldrum meant being a part of an entire family filled with love more than I had known. I was important to my grandma - someone who had passed away in my teen years, but she knew me and loved me.

So, needless to say, I was greatly looking forward to this reunion to feel of that love again from my uncles, aunt, and cousins. However, what I gained from the reunion ended up being much more than I expected - something so special and wonderful that I wanted to share it with you.

When my cousin Ronnie set up the reunion, she had felt numerous promptings that our family needed a reunion. She brushed the thoughts aside, knowing full well how much work such a task would require. Finally though, she could no longer ignore the relenting promptings, so a year ago, she began the proceedings for getting the 100 plus clan together. I can tell you that this reunion was most certainly meant for my family - I'm sure I'm not the only one, but this was my experience -

As we traveled to the reunion, I was looking forward to the usual reunion things - seeing my dear uncles and aunt who are always so loving to me, and of course catching up with my cousins I haven't seen since my wedding 14 years ago, and some even longer since the days of hanging out at grandma and grandpa's farm in eastern Washington. I have always loved the Meldrums and knew we would have our usual Meldrum fun.

Of course, the usual thoughts of wishing my dad could be there lingered in the back of my mind, and as I tried pushing the sadness aside for what seemed like the umpteenth time, a new thought began forming. I began thinking about what I would do if my dad were given the chance to come back for a brief visit.

If I were given such an incredible opportunity, after the initial shock, tears, and hugs, I would want to relive life with him and visit with our usual style - but then, ultimately, I would want my kids to get the chance to play with him and spend time with him, something they always enjoyed and to this day, tell me how much they miss.

Knowing obviously, that this won't happen in my lifetime, I came to the reunion and got the next best thing - a part of my dad was there at the reunion, right then, with me. It was a precious gift that I hold dear to my heart, for there at the reunion while visiting with my dad's brother, Dave, I realized with startling clarity how similar they look in their facial expressions and mannerisms. I discovered that I was given a precious gift during the reunion - the opportunity to be with someone who not only knew my dad so well, but to also get the chance to visit with someone who had so much of my dad in him. I was given a rare opportunity to be with my dad again so to speak and I cherished every one of those moments during the reunion.

On the left is my dad, in the middle is my Uncle Dave, on the right is my Uncle Bob - two of my dad's siblings.

Here is Uncle Dave at the reunion - compared to the picture of my dad below:

Okay, so they aren't identical twins, but since I don't get to see my dad in person anymore, it was an uncanny resemblance.

We visited extensively throughout the reunion, complete with a big hug from him, reminding me of my dad's ever-present love for me. Of course, it wasn't just Dave, it was all of my dad's siblings who went out of their way to express their love to me and my family, even spending time visiting and playing with my children.

The ultimate moment at the reunion that melted my heart was when after most everyone had left after one of the lunch get-togethers and I was cleaning up my craft table while the kids played next to me. Uncle Dave came up and gathered up my kids and proceeded to take them for a ride on his wife's wheel chair thing. It was almost as if my dad was there doing what he loved best - being with his grand kids.


Words cannot even express how grateful I am to have had the experience with my dad's brothers and sister. I needed the reunion more than I knew. Now that I know it, I am thankful we took the time to share those moments with the Meldrum clan this last weekend.

Now I am thinking about the fact that my dad always teased me about my lengthy blog posts, so in memory of him, I bid adieu to the novel and move forward with the pictures:

Here's the green - aka Glen's portion of the Meldrums, that attended the reunion, just a fraction of the much larger clan:

Over 100 of us - about 75 percent of the entire Meldrum group came out for the reunion.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but we traveled up to Wallowa Lake in Eastern Oregon for the reunion. Beautiful, huh.

We couldn't pass up the usual touristy things like the go-carts:

Alicia went just the right speed for her grandma.

John on the other hand here passed them a few times:

The deer were extra friendly in this part of town, coming up to visit us at our cabin.



and to my utter displeasure (I did NOT take this photo), the kids can now say they have pet a wild deer.


Anyway, now that the reunion is over, I have memories I will cherish for the rest of my life. Thanks again guys. I'm proud to say I am a Meldrum.

5 comments:

Murdlem said...

Dana,
It is easy to push promptings aside. I am so glad the other side was persistent! I am so grateful that you were able to feel your dad around you during this reunion. Thank you for sharing your experience. I look forward to spending more time with your family in the future.

Smith Family said...

Did Natalie fall of the chair in the one group picture?? That made us laugh so hard!

You are so good with words and your words expressed my feelings exactly. I was really sad to not have Dad there but still so glad I went. Love Grandma's quote about the older you get the more you lear how to love.

Oh, and it's a good thing you took pictures so that I can copy them....lost camera

I AM SAM said...

Damnit Dana, you made me cry...............SAM

The Heki Family said...

Sounds like a great reunion. :)

Unknown said...

Dana I just love how you are so good with words! After seeing Megan on your uncles lap, I'm sure your dad would have done the same thing! I'm so glad you got to have a little "piece" of your dad with you at the reunion.