Saturday, July 30, 2011

Musings for the Week

Musing #1: Here is what I can do now that I have a sewing machine:

Megan has grown like 3 inches in the last couple of months - okay, so maybe not 3, but she has shot up like a weed, so most of her shorts and summer dresses are now way too short and I will not - I repeat - refuse to buy shorts that will only last another month. So, Wa-La! 18-month old pants that are too short for her, I converted into shorts.

While I was at it, Kimberly asked me to turn some capris of hers that had holes in the knees into shorts. Why Yes Kimberly, I can do that - instead of the previous a) wait until we make a trip to Grandma Rimington's to borrow her sewing machine or b) wait for Grandma Lynn to visit who was always so sweet to take home my items needing loving attention from the sewing machine. Now I can just whip my baby out and sew away as needed.

Musing #2:

In case you were wondering and just didn't have the heart to bring it up with me, yes, I do let my kids gnaw on anything unhealthy when I'm sewing. It keeps them occupied and away from me while I work my sewing magic.

Musing #3:

While I was busy sewing, (and the two youngest chowing away), John and Kimberly were working on her bedroom downstairs. He is having her help, since it is her bedroom. She was balking at the idea the other day, so John turned to Alicia to start asking if she'd like to help and then it could be her bedroom...Kimberly got the idea and quickly turned over her services.


We have the first wall up (I get to say we because I did 'help' hold some boards into place while he nailed away.) It is a rather slow-going process because we're buying stuff as our budget allows each month, and when John has time to work on it in-between business trips. Don't worry - it will get done and it will look fabulous.

Musing #4:

I have taken a brief hiatus from blogville as I have been madly trying to read my library book 'Unbroken' by Laura Hillenbrand, the same gal who wrote 'Seabiscuit'. I absolutely love reading, but unfortunately, I am a slow reader, which doesn't normally worry me, except this is a two-week check-out. I still have a couple hundred pages left and it's due back on Wednesday. Can we say Stress!!

Of course, it doesn't end there because I need to start reading 'The Help' that came in the same day as Unbroken and though it is a 4-week checkout, I have spent the last two reading the Unbroken. I put a hold on those books awhile ago - who knew they would come at the same time (this after I just finished reading Water For Elephants, also a long hold).

Musing #5:

The 3 oldest girls finished up a round of swimming lessons this week and are definitely little fish. Now we are just trying to hang in there until school starts in 3 weeks - YAY!! The girls have officially had it with each other and Natalie can't wait to start preschool...even better. Just Megan and I chillin' for 3 mornings a week. Sweetness.

Okay, I think I have just passed my limit of words for this post, so adios for now!

3 comments:

Allison said...

So what did you think about Water for Elephants? I LOVED both Unbroken and The Help! Do not take them back until you've finished them or else you will be very disappointed. :)

Glenna said...

I hate when all the books come at the same time. I recently had five at the same time. I just had to take some back! I'm just finishing Unbroken myself. Great book!

The Heki Family said...

I love to read Dana. I haven't heard of those books but I will definitely have to check them out. Good job with the sewing.